Oakwell Centre, Dewsbury & District Hospital
Dr Asoka Weerasinghe - Consultant in Emergency Medicine
Dr Aamir Nazir - Consultant Anaesthetist
Mr Kevin Ross - Senior Clinical Teacher
Advanced Nurse Practitioners, Nurse Specialists, Medical and Surgical Nurses and Medical Students.
Content and format
Each session will comprise of Powerpoint presentations, practical sessions and formative assessment. The teaching will cover:
- A brief introduction to respiratory examination
- Review of infection control aspects
- How to perform an arterial blood gas
- How to perform a capillary blood gas
- Interpretation of blood gas results.
The practical session will comprise of:
- Performing Allen’s Test
- Site and equipment selection
- Obtaining arterial blood gas sample from manikin arm
- Supervision and competence.
By the end of the course, delegates will:
- Be able to identify suitable sites for blood gas sampling
- Understand the advantages and disadvantages of both methods
- Demonstrate correct technique for blood gas sampling
- Be able to interpret blood gas results.
Formative assessment for the trainee.