Oakwell Centre, Dewsbury & District Hospital
Dr Shafi S Khan - Consultant in Emergency Medicine.
Mr Asoka Weerasinghe - Consultant in Emergency Medicine.
Dr Patrick Tung - Consultant in Emergency Medicine.
Emergency Medicine and Trauma and Orthopaedic doctors.
Content and format
Each session will comprise of:
- Didactic teaching for 75 minutes.
- Scan practice for 180 minutes (six stations).
The didactic teaching will cover:
- Ultrasound physics
- Ultrasound knobology
- Ultrasound guided nerve block procedures
- Ultrasound governance.
The scan practice session will comprise of:
- Expert faculty with small group learning.
- Hands on ultrasound scanning on live models to identify nerves and tendon ruptures.
- Pratice on needle alignment on phantoms for nerve blocks.
- Practice on phantoms how to identify and measure the deopth of a foreign body.
- Practice on phantoms to diagnose fracture using ultrasound.
At the end of the session the trainee will have a thorough understanding on:
- Basic ultrasound physics and knobology.
- How to optimise ultrasound images.
- Interpret sonoanatomy of wrist, ankle and femoral blocks.
- How to perform an ultrasound guided nerve block.
- Ultrasound in diagnosis fractures, tendon injuries and foreign bodies.
- Governance related to ultrasound guided procedures.