Welcome To Pinderfields
Pinderfields Hospital is a busy district hospital and the largest of the three Mid Yorkshire hospitals. It is the designated acute hospital for Mid Yorks, so tends to treat the most complex and acutely unwell cases from Dewsbury, Wakefield and Pontefract and surrounding areas. There are a great many specialties and departments. To mention just a few of the clinical specialties and departments:
- Emergency Medicine (ED, A&E) and Acute Medicine (AAU)
- Intensive Care and High dependency units
- The Regional Burns Centre
- The Regional Spinal Injuries Centre
- Multiple Medical Specialties include: Cardiology, Respiratory, Gastroenterology, Diabetes & Endocrine, Rheumatology, Neurology, Stroke, Care of the Elderly, Oncology, Haematology, Genito-urinary medicine, Renal medicine
- Multiple Surgical Specialties include: Orthopaedics, Gynaecology, cancer and orthopaedics, ENT, Urology, Oral and Facial and Plastic Surgery
- Paediatrics, Inpatient Surgery for Children, A consultant-led Maternity Service, Neonatal Intensive and High Dependency Care and Special care.
- Radiology, Neurophysiology, Endoscopy, Physiotherapy & Rehabiltation Services
….and many many more
Pinderfields is renowned for its friendly staff and reputation for providing excellent teaching and experience for medical students. We hope that you will be pleased that your clinical placement is based here.
The Education Centre
The Education Centre is the glass fronted, L-shaped building that is situated to the left hand side (if you are facing the hospital main entrance doors) of the main Hospital building. The Education Centre is where the Undergraduate Team are based and where you will be asked to report to on the first day of your placement.
The Undergraduate office is located on the first floor and is the second office on your right at the top of the stairs. This is where you need to come if you have any queries during your placement. A lot of teaching sessions/meetings happen in this building in one of the 7 seminar rooms or lecture theatre. If you have a teaching session in this building please check on the TV screen that you will notice when you enter the building. This lists what happens in each room or you can ask at reception for help.
The Pinderfields staff library is situated in this building and you can find it opposite the main reception desk on the ground floor. The library is available 24/7, but please speak to a member of the library staff during office hours if you wish to use it out of hours. The Education Centre, along with the main Hospital building does have free wi-fi access available and you will find the log on details for this situated on all notice boards throughout the Centre. Alternatively please ask at reception for help.
As you walk through the Centres main entrance you will find a volunteer run coffee shop on your left hand side with a nice relaxed seating area. All students can receive a free tea, coffee or bottle of water when using the centre. You need to ask at the reception desk for a coffee voucher and then give that voucher to the volunteers behind the coffee shop counter. There is a cloak room situated on the left hand side after the reception desk for students wanting to keep any belongings in lockers.